The Castle

Achleiten Castle is mentioned in historical documents for the first time in 1189. Because of its strategically opportune location, it was possible from this location to completely block off the Kremstal [Krems Valley] through the Veste Tunnel which no longer exists today.  
In the centuries that followed, the owners of the estate changed often, one of which was the Prince Archbishop of Salzburg, Johan Ernst Graf Thun, in the 18th century.  It was during this period that the castle was given the appearance it has today. The magnificent castle fountain and garden pavilion also originate from this period.
The Max-Theurer family purchased the castle and park in 1982 and went to great effort to restore the estate and maintain its style.

 

The Show


Under the direction of Sissy Max-Theurer, a riding facility was created at Achleiten Castle between the years 1989 and 1991 and since 1992 it has been the annual venue of the CDI**** Achleiten and was also the venue of the European Junior Dressage Championships in 1999 and the Austrian State Championships in 2007.

The Achleiten Show Committee was founded in 1991 by Sissy and Hans Max-Theurer, the engineer Hubert Winkler, and Evelyn Beuerlein. The list of world class riders that have found their way to Kremstal is long: Nicole Uphoff/GER, Klaus Balkenhol/GER, Ann-Kathrin Linsenhoff/GER, Anky van Grunsven/NED, Heike Kemmer/GER, Sven Rothenberger/NED, Gyula Dallos/HUN, Otto Hofer/SUI and last not least, Sissy Max-Theurer and meanwhile her daughter as well, Victoria Max-Theurer.

 

presented by